Our content is reader-supported. If you click on our links, we may earn a commission.
Consumer Cellular is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that offers cell phone plans and devices to people 50 and older. They operate on the AT&T and T-Mobile networks, so their coverage is nationwide.
- 1 What is Consumer Cellular?
- 2 What Products Consumer Cellular Offers?
- 3 What is Consumer Cellular’s coverage?
- 4 Is Consumer Cellular coverage good?
- 5 What kind of phones does Consumer Cellular offer?
- 6 What are Consumer Cellular’s plans?
- 7 Is Consumer Cellular Legit?
- 8 Pros & Cons
- 9 Customer Service
- 10 Conclusion
What is Consumer Cellular?
Consumer Cellular is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that offers affordable, no-contract cell phone plans and accessories. Their plans are designed to benefit older adults, and their most basic plan is $20 per month. Consumer Cellular partners with AT&T and T-Mobile to provide coverage.
Consumer Cellular offers the following features:
- AARP members receive a 5% discount on their monthly service.
- AARP members also receive an extended 45-day risk-free guarantee.
- You can share your plan with up to seven lines on a Consumer Cellular account. Each additional line is $15/month.
- You can change your plan anytime without fees or penalties.
If you go over your data limit, you’ll automatically be upgraded to a more expensive plan. Although there are no overage penalties, you’ll have to pay more for the upgraded plan.
What Products Consumer Cellular Offers?
Consumer Cellular offers a variety of cell phones, including flip phones, smartphones, and iPhone models. They also offer 5G-compatible devices, including the latest flagship devices from Samsung and Apple. Consumer Cellular’s plans include unlimited talk and text, with data allotments ranging from 1 GB to unlimited.
Consumer Cellular also offers the ConnectPad, a unique device designed exclusively for Consumer Cellular. The ConnectPad is a user-friendly wireless device that’s ideal for those who have never owned a smartphone or tablet.
Consumer Cellular’s plans are up to half the cost of other carriers. However, because Consumer Cellular doesn’t own its own cellular network, data speeds can occasionally slow down on T-Mobile and AT&T’s networks.
Consumer Cellular offers a variety of products, including:
- Cell phone plans: Consumer Cellular offers a variety of postpaid cell phone plans, starting at $20 per month for unlimited talk and text. You can add data for an additional fee. They also offer a variety of add-ons, such as international calling and voicemail transcription.
- Phones: Consumer Cellular offers a wide variety of phones, including both flip phones and smartphones. They also offer a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program, so you can use your current phone with their service.
- Accessories: Consumer Cellular offers a variety of accessories, such as cases, chargers, and headphones.
- Service plans: Consumer Cellular offers a variety of service plans, such as international roaming and data plans.
- Gift cards: Consumer Cellular offers gift cards that can be used to purchase their products or services.
What is Consumer Cellular’s coverage?
Consumer Cellular is a wireless service that uses the AT&T and T-Mobile networks to provide coverage. These networks cover about 99% of the country. Consumer Cellular customers can only access one of the two networks and cannot switch between them.
Consumer Cellular offers 4G data speeds in most rural areas and 5G speeds in most urban areas. However, you will need a 5G-enabled phone to get 5G speeds.
You can check Consumer Cellular’s coverage map for a predicted high-level approximation of wireless coverage. However, there may be gaps in coverage that are not shown. If you’re unsure which network you’re using, you can call Consumer Cellular at (888) 345-5509.
Is Consumer Cellular coverage good?
Consumer Cellular uses the AT&T and T-Mobile networks to provide coverage for their customers. This means that call and text performance will depend on the strength of these networks in your area. In general, users report that the call quality and reliability of the service are good.
Consumer Cellular covers about 99% of the country. They provide 4G data speeds in most rural areas and 5G speeds in most urban areas.
Actual coverage may differ from map graphics and may be affected by factors such as:
Terrain, Weather, Network changes, Foliage, Buildings, Construction, Signal strength, High-usage periods, Customer equipment.
Consumer Cellular is consistently ranked #1 for customer service among wireless providers in J.D. Power’s rankings.
What kind of phones does Consumer Cellular offer?
Consumer Cellular offers a variety of phones, including the latest devices from Apple and Samsung, and a selection of easy-to-use flip phones. They also offer phones that are compatible with 5G networks. Some of the phones they offer include:
- Apple iPhone 12 Pro
- Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G
- Apple iPhone 13
- Samsung Galaxy A14 5G
Consumer Cellular phones offer features like HD displays, multi-lens cameras, and fast processing speeds. They also offer a wide variety of phones that are compatible with 5G networks. However, if you have a phone purchased in the last few years that uses 4G (or 4g LTE), you probably won’t need to make a change anytime soon.
Consumer Cellular’s most basic plan is $20 per month, which is very affordable compared to other major carriers.
What are Consumer Cellular’s plans?
Consumer Cellular offers a range of cell phone plans with unlimited talk and text. Their plans include:
- $20 per month for 1 GB of data
- $25 per month for 5 GB of data
- $35 per month for 10 GB of data
- $40 per month for 15 GB of data
- $45 per month for 20 GB of data
- $50 per month for unlimited data
Consumer Cellular is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), which means they lease service from other carriers, such as AT&T and T-Mobile. Their plans are designed to be affordable and flexible, and are aimed at seniors and people who prefer low-cost plans. They offer no-contract plans and senior-friendly phones, and the average customer pays under $28 per month. They also offer a risk-free trial.
Consumer Cellular has an exclusive deal for AARP members, who can get a 5% monthly discount on their cell phone bill or two unlimited plans for $55 per month.
Is Consumer Cellular Legit?
Yes, Consumer Cellular is a legitimate company. It is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) that offers cell phone plans and devices to people 50 and older. They operate on the AT&T and T-Mobile networks, so their coverage is nationwide.
Consumer Cellular has been in business since 1995 and has over 4 million customers. They have a good reputation for customer service and their plans are competitively priced.
Pros & Cons
Consumer Cellular is a wireless provider that offers flexible plans, competitive pricing, and excellent customer service.
Pros of Consumer Cellular:
- Affordable plans for light data users
- AARP discount
- Top-ranked customer support
- Simple plans that offer unlimited talk and text with data allotments ranging from 1 GB to unlimited
- Flexible plans
Cons of Consumer Cellular:
- No medical alert features
- The unlimited data option is less competitive unless you have two or more lines of service
- The unlimited plan is expensive
- Data speeds can occasionally get throttled
Consumer Cellular offers a wide variety of phones, including basic flip-phones, smartphones, and the GrandPad, a senior-friendly tablet. You can bring your own phone or purchase a new one. If you choose to keep your existing device, it must be unlocked and compatible with GSM network technology.
You can contact Consumer Cellular customer service by calling (888) 345-5509 or dialing 611 from your Consumer Cellular phone. You can also reach Consumer Cellular customer service by starting a chat.
Consumer Cellular’s customer service is 100% US-based. They have been ranked #1 in customer service among wireless value MVNOs 15 times in a row by J.D. Power.
You can also use the Consumer Cellular app to:
- Manage your monthly plans
- Track your usage
- Pay your bill
- Contact customer service
Consumer Cellular offers access to AT&T and T-Mobile’s 4G LTE/5G networks. According to some, Consumer Cellular has reliable data access. However, Consumer Cellular doesn’t offer an unlimited data plan.
Consumer Cellular has been ranked #1 in customer satisfaction for several years. J.D. Power and Associates named Consumer Cellular “Highest in Customer Service among Non-Contract Value Wireless Providers” for the fifth year in a row.
Consumer Cellular offers a 100% risk-free guarantee. If you’re not satisfied within 30 days of activating your service, you can cancel and pay nothing. However, you will be responsible for all charges incurred through termination.